I'm determined to start this new year out productively. So...I spent New Year's Eve finishing this:
The pattern is called the Retro bag by ithinksew. I had a little left over fabric from the kyoto dress project, so I used it to test the pattern before cutting into the precious Kokka that I had bought for this project. The pattern calls for one yard for both the outside and lining, so I used one half yard for each.
I'm glad I did a trial run, because I really had some problems. I should say first that it was not at all a problem with the pattern, just with me, as the pattern itself is really easy. My first thought to test the pattern was because it called for adding a 1/4 inch seam allowance. I was too lazy to do that, so I thought I would just make it a half inch smaller all around. Unfortunately, I didn't account for some things, which are too ticky tacky to go into here. It just made me have to recalculate just about everything, when the simplest thing to do would have been to add the 1/4 seam allowance in the first place. Oh well, lesson learned.
I changed a couple of things. As you can see in the picture above, I added a bias trim to the front. The pattern called for the pleats in front to be inverted, which I thought might look weird so I turned them the other way. I thought too that it would create a nice pooching effect when the bag is full. Who knows.
I also inserted a zipper pocket. The pattern only provided for a patch pocket. I decided after my last birdie sling that for bigger bag projects, I would take the time to do an inset zipper pocket as they are more secure. The lining fabric is from the Moda Basics line.
Finally, I added some items to illustrate scale. The bag measures 13.5 inches at the widest point on the bottom and is about 10.5 inches tall to the top middle. With the strap, the purse has about a 28 to 30-inch drop when worn on one shoulder. I like wearing it cross-body better.