Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Shelburne Falls Quilt: a 4/8-Grid Sampler - EQ7 Mock-Up

So all nine blocks are done! OK, I had high hopes for 12 or 16 blocks, but reality prevailed, and I won't let myself start on a new project until this one is done.

This is a mock-up using EQ7. The color renditions of each block are not ideal, but I tried to approximate. The final quilt size will be 68" x 68", with sashing and a border. I will continue to post block piecing instructions, and final instructions for putting the quilt together. Stay tuned!

Thursday, June 7, 2018

Block 4 of the 4/8-Grid Sampler - Fox and Geese

I do have most of these blocks done, but have been VERY slow in getting them posted and drafting the PDF patterns. But I'm getting back on track! Here is the fourth block: Fox and Geese. Enjoy!

Block 4 - Fox and Geese
Here are the links to all four blocks in this series so far:

Block 1 - X-Quartet (blog post)

Block 2 - Dutchman's Puzzle (blog post)

Block 3: Hour Glass II (blog post)

Block 4 - Fox and Geese

Monday, May 28, 2018

Memory Quilt - Finished!

Here is the finished top! That's my husband and 14-year-old behind the quilt holding it up. It was a beautiful day, but a bit windy so it was difficult to get a still picture. This will do, however.

Download PDF here.
So many fabrics in this baby, each using just about 1/4 yard of fabric (plus 1/4 yard Kona white, of course). There's Joel Dewberry, some Cotton + Steel, Tula Pink, Amy Butler, Art Gallery, Pearl Bracelets. Each a little something to add.

I was able to put together PDF instructions for piecing the block, as well as yardage requirement for the entire quilt. I'm kinda proud of myself, because it's been so long so I've had the time or inclination to do something like this. In any case, here it is -- click on the link under the block!

Saturday, May 26, 2018

Memory blocks - no, I haven't forgotten

Yes, I know. I've been out of it for a long time. I haven't done much piecing of quilt blocks, but I have done some garment sewing (jeans!) that I haven't shared here. I did manage to finish this quilt top, however. As pictured here, I still had one more row to add to the right side so that it ended up being a 4 x 4 setting.

The block is called "memory," and I super-sized it up to 18 inches. I can't remember where I found the piecing instructions for this block, but I will post this information next time along with a picture of the entire quilt.

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Strawberry Fields (it took) Forever

Seriously, this took forever; it was a BOM from Fat Quarter Shop from 2011! No joke. And I just finished quilting it on the longarm in November (sadly the longarm has since found a new home), and put the binding on last week.

When I joined the BOM, I didn't have the foresight to also order the finishing kit before it sold out. That's okay, as I enjoyed coming up with my own setting. The quilt finished at about 84" x 84" which is a decent size. The all-over quilting is from a pantograph pattern called "Lida," a very quick but pleasingly textured design.

As 2016 is winding down, I find it interesting to take note of how my aesthetics have changed. Had this quilt not been lingering for five years, I probably would not have chosen to make it today. But still, I like it.

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Goose in the Pond - Finished!

Actually, I finished quilting and binding this one last September and gifted it to my oldest sister for Christmas. Although I had mostly finished piecing it in April, it took me some time to decide on whether I wanted a border. I ended up repeating the checkerboard theme from the blocks themselves, and I was pretty pleased with how everything came together.

I quilted it with an all-over loop-de-loop pattern -- I'm pretty convinced this pattern looks good on just about anything.

Here is the PDF instructions for the block, which you can download for personal use.

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Block 3 of the 4/8-Grid Sampler - Hour Glass II

I know it might appear that this project was abandoned. Fear not, I actually have put some work into it, just not anything that was publishable until now.

This block finishes at 16 inches and is called Hour Glass II. It is based on block instructions found in Judy Hopkins' 501 Rotary-Cut Quilt Blocks. The fabric is from Denyse Schmidt's Shelburne Falls collection.

I have put together a PDF of the cutting and piecing instructions for this block, as well as the first two blocks that you can download through these links:

Block 1 - X-Quartet (blog post)

Block 2 - Dutchman's Puzzle (blog post)

Block 3 - Hour Glass II