Friday, November 9, 2012

Stash Bee - Belated October Blocks

Rachelle, the Queen Bee for October, requested these neat paper-pieced bookshelf blocks.  I completed and mailed these first three blocks to Rachelle on time:

Stash Bee October 3
This one is my favorite -- I like the look of the stacked books and the one leaning to one side.
Paper piecing is not one of my strengths, so these were kinda challenging for me.  There was some ripping out of seams and cursing, especially with this one:

Stash Bee October 4
This is a picture frame on top of a stack of books.  Pretty clever, huh?
In addition to Kona black (each Queen Bee can specify up to two solids for her block), I used some more of my Just Wing It layer cake.  I think the colors from this collection contrasted nicely with the black.

Stash Bee October 5

As I was saying, I cruised along happily with the first three.  Then Halloween came, and I got slammed -- between costumes and work, I didn't get any sewing done until today.  So, today while the boys were out of school for a teacher in-service day, I finished off this last one and dropped it in the mail:

 Stash Bee October 2

Phew.  I really did have a lot of fun making these blocks.  That's what is nice about belonging to Stash Bee -- there's a variety of ideas and techniques that I would have never come up on my own or thought to try.

Here they are in a row, to give you an idea of how it all goes together.  Unfortunately, because I was late with the fourth block, I don't have a picture of all ot them together.  Boo.

Stash Bee October 1

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I like it..

Marit said...

Wow, those book shelf blocks are really cool. Nice job:)