Monday, October 29, 2012

Picnic in City Weekend - Finished!

I'm so delighted with how this quilt turned out.  I was a little blah about it while it was coming together (I think I was just in a funk that had nothing to do with the quilt itself), but now I love it.
City Weekend 1
The pattern is called "Picnic," and it is from Kim Brackett's Scrap-Basket Sensations: More Great Quilts from 2 1/2" Strips.  I pieced it using a jellyroll of City Weekend by Oliver + S, along with some Kona white yardage.  The finished size is relatively small, 48" x 60", which is perfect for a picnic quilt.  I didn't take any pictures of the back, but it is the same aqua with polka dots that you see in some of the blocks.
Picnic 3
I wanted to keep the quilting simple, as I'm sure this quilt will get much use, so I used an all-over pattern called "rose stipple." I'm totally loving the long-arm quilting now, and this pattern was the perfect break from some of the complex free-motion work I had been doing both personally and at MQX.
City Weekend 2
 As a last note, I picked up Superior Threads So Fine to try out, based on reviews from a number of professional long-arm quilters. It's a polyester thread that is extremely thin so the idea is to add texture with the quilting while allowing the thread to disappear into the background. Even being as fine as it is, it is an amazingly strong thread, and I give it a definite thumbs-up. It is, indeed, so fine.

3 comments:

Shontelle said...

Gorgeous! I just bought that book for a friend for her birthday. You've got me keen to make that pattern - but I must stay strong and finish of my WIPs

Marit said...

The quilt looks very cool and calm and the quilting sure is beautiful!

Litamora's Quilt & Design said...

Your quilt turned out so beautiful!