Monday, August 1, 2011

Yay, Another Quilt Finished!

One busted machine later, I am finally done!  This turned out to be an experimental quilt for me -- I did some pretty ambitious (for me) quilting that I enjoyed immensely.  My technique did improve significantly toward the end of the quilt, so more than ever I'm a proponent of "practice, practice, practice!"


These are the feather details I'm happy to show -- some of the earlier feathers on this quilt do not stand up to close scrutiny.  I chose to do the feathers on the patterned parts and stippling on the solid white, whereas it might make more sense to do this in the reverse.  I thought since I am fairly new at FMQ, doing the more detailed work on the patterned sections would be more forgiving.

Feather detail on one of the bottom triangles.

Feather detail on corner triangle.
Since it took me so long to quilt this darn thing, I decided to go with a machine binding technique that I read about here on Red Pepper Quilts.  I do love the look of hand binding, but I gotta say, this technique is SO much faster. 
The stitch-in-the-ditch on the front binding blended in well after washing.

Top-stitching detail on the back side of the binding that results from machine binding.
All in all, I'm happy with how this quilt turned out and am even more excited to move on to new projects (and other WIPS).  PS. I love, love, love my new Janome 6600!

1 comment:

QuiltyGirl said...

Wow! Those feathers look amazing!! And yay for Janome love. :)