Sunday, January 13, 2013

Projects for 2013

We really hit the ground running for the new year, so I didn't have time to do a retrospective of 2012.  Rather than dwell on that now, I thought I'd organize my thoughts about sewing commitments and projects for 2013.  Making my mental list, I'm going to say the theme for 2013 is "ambition."

This year, I'm involved in two sewing bees, Stash Bee and Simply Solids Modern: A Modern {Bee}.  I've really enjoyed Stash Bee, and Simply Solids looks to be just as fun, based on the first block assignment for February.

Lucky Stars BOM ButtonIn addition to quilting bees, I love the idea of Block of the Month clubs.  It's like getting a little present every month.  Of course, I've bemoaned in the past how far behind I am on Fat Quarter Shop's Designer Mystery Block of the Month, but forget that, I'm still tempted to sign up for 2013.

I also signed up for not one, but two, online BOMs.  Both clubs are pretty ubiquitous, which speaks for the popularity of the designers.  First off is Sugar Block Club from Stitchery Dickory Dock.  I think what really got me was the little button for the club and the blocks on the button -- so cute.  Next, is Don't Call Me Betsy's Lucky Stars club.

2013 Sugar Block Club

So between these two bees and three BOMs, I think I'm well committed for now. The way I thought I would handle it is to devote one weekend per month powering through these blocks. I'll let you know if that works out.

BUT, it doesn't end there.  There are a bunch of very cool free sewing bees going on right now too.  Very tempting.  If you haven't seen them, there is one from Gen-X Quilters called Sister's Ten Modern Block of the Month.   The second one is from Open Gates Quilts called Blogger Girls Block of the Month.  Finally, Riley Blake Designs is introducing a video BOM on January 14th, called "Things we Love."

My 8-year-old recently picked up on my constant lamentation, "I wish there were 30 hours in a day!"

1 comment:

Swedish Scrapper said...

With ya! I signed up for the same bom's, admired gen x quilting's qal and found the row along to catch up on too! Thye just look so good to learn from! and the results will be fab too :D