Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

I was informed by #1 a few days ago that he was in the process of making me a very nice card for Mother's Day.  Mr. Elvy confirmed that #1 has been working on a card at bedtime -- the rule is that he can stay up so long as he 's in his room doing something quiet.  First thing this morning, #1 came down and gave me the card.  It said something like, "Happy Mother's Day.  Please give me a kiss."  That was very sweet, in addition to the gifts I'd already received earlier in the week, because my boys CANNOT keep a secret!

On to sewing, this is my Mother's Day top, which Mr. Elvy called my summer mu-mu (spelling?).  I love this top, it's so comfy and turned out just as I pictured it mentally.

Lisette Tunic by Elvy

The pattern is from the Lisette collection (Simplicity 2245), as is the cotton voile fabric.  Both were purchased at my local JoAnn's. I made View B, which I think is actually supposed to be a (very mini) dress.  I shortened the bodice by two inches, which raised the pockets to a manageable location for me (cause I'm short). 

5

The fabric was a little difficult to work with at first, mainly because I could not get it to straighten out and line up. I finally cut off quite a bit from both selvedges to get everything to line up without the wavy edge. From there on in, the fabric behaved beautifully for me.

2

The picture above is the front placket detail, which I thought was a cool little detail. The bottom picture is the button loop closure in the back. I was going to use these shiny red dome buttons at first, but I thought it might be a little uncomfortable to lean back on, so I opted for these oval wood buttons instead.


By far my favorite detail, though, are the pockets. I love these pockets!

If I have time, I'll try to enter it into the Spring Top Week Sewalong over at Made by Rae. It's a pretty neat feature on her blog and a good motivator for spring sewing!











No comments: