This dress was a Christmas present for a special little two-year-old. It's from a modkid pattern by Patty Young and was super easy to make. I think it will be fairly wearable, in that there are no zippers or buttons, you just slip it on over your head. In the winter, I can see it over a turtleneck and leggings. The pattern also has a short-sleeve option, as well as a tunic option. I made a size 2, but the pattern runs all the way up to a 7.
The main fabric is called cocca from the Alexander Henry collection. I don't know if it's still in print as it's been in my stash for a long time, but I see a lot of items in this print. I saw two bolts of this at my local Joann's in Clackamas. The neck, sleeves, and hem were finished with red polka dot bias trim, which I cut from Robert Kaufman's pimatex line. Here is a detail of the neck:
I bought one yard of the red polka dot fabric and have used it for multiple projects. Unfortunately, I needed exactly 1/4 yard running the WOF for the obi (sash) but didn't have quite enough after cutting the trim on the bias. So I improvised and used the polka dot on one side and faced it on the other side (shown) using a remnant of Michael Miller's ta-dot.
I do love how the dress turned out. The pattern was also well-drafted and the instructions clearly written.
The exterior fabric for this pocket clutch is called "yui kokeshi" from the Alexander Henry collection. The interior red polka dot is from Robert Kaufman's primatex basics collection.
I debated for quite some time as to the front flap, whether to cut it as a separate piece so that the kokeshi dolls are right side up when the clutch is closed. The hubby said it looked better for all the dolls to be right side up (on the back view) when the clutch is opened. I'm still conflicted.
I think I might have gotten carried away. But, these pocket clutches were SO fun to make, I couldn't stop at just one. Now everyone is getting a pocket clutch for Christmas.
These are pretty small -- I should have put a prop in to illustrate scale. They measure about seven inches wide and four inches tall. There is an extra front pocket in addition to the main pocket (see photo below). An i-phone will fit in the main pocket quite comfortably with some extra room for lip gloss, etc.
This particular one is made with a Japanese cotton canvas by Kokka; the interior is by Monaluna for Robert Kaufman. I will post about the other ones at a later date. I added a cute little wooden button to this one to finish the look.
It took me a couple of times to get the placement of that little tab on the bottom correctly. In fact, I finished one that is completely backwards; it was so backwards, it could not be saved. This one I had to rip out once and place the tab right side out. It is actually not that difficult, I just didn't look at the picture in the instructions very carefully.
Here is another fold-over clutch. The fabric is a Japanese cotton canvas from Kokka that I bought at Cool Cottons, here in Portland. The interior fabric is a funky quilting weight cotton by Monaluna for Robert Kaufman.
I guess I should issue a spoiler alert. These purses are all intended to be Christmas presents, but I know that if I don't blog about them as I go along, I'll miss my opportunity. Also, it's unlikely the intended recipients will actually read this blog.
Anyhoo, this is the curvy clutch. The pattern is, as with the previous Keyka Lou patterns, very well drafted and easy to construct. I should note that I have been using a walking foot and a 100/18 needle, which probably makes sewing through the several layers of fabric that accumulate much easier to do.
This wristlet is about the same size as the fold-over clutch, measuring approximately 11 inches at its widest point, five inches tall, and 2.5 inches deep. It features a very secure wrist strap.
Again, I fussy cut the fabric to center and include as much of the repeating motif as possible:
The only difference between this wallet and the one I made to match the previous fold-over clutch is that I interfaced the front pocket instead of using a batting in order to eliminate some of the bulk. I think the double interfacing provided enough structure, so I will continue doing this in the future.
Here they are side by side:
Last but not least, the basic wallet for the hubby's i-phone. It might be hard to tell from the picture, but I used this absolutely lovely, crisp brown linen that I had bought a while back for a summer jacket. I figured I could spare the fat eighth it took to make this wallet. (The quality of these last two pictures is a little bit off -- I think my camera was metering the darkness of the brown linen, and I didn't know how to fix the automatic setting.)