Sunday, August 18, 2019

Lavender Oatmeal Honey Hot Process Soap

Despite the mixed success of my first batch of hot process soap, I made a second batch yesterday. This batch was also inspired by The Nerdy Farm Wife, from the article How to Make Oatmeal Honey Soap In A Crock Pot.


I changed the recipe up just a little. At the end of the cooking process, instead of superfatting with tamanu oil (of which I have just enough left to make a batch of charcoal facial soap), I replaced it with jojoba oil. I also added more lavender essential oil than the recipe called for. Here are the ingredients:

17 oz (482 g) olive oil (62%)
8 oz (227 g) coconut oil (29%)
1.5 oz (43 g) sweet almond or sunflower (5%) - I used sunflower oil
1 oz (28 g) castor oil (4%)

10 oz (283 g) water
3.9 oz (111 g) lye

After cooking for 1.25 hours on the low setting of my crockpot, I added:

.5 oz (14 g) tamanu oil - I used jojoba oil
1 tbsp powdered oatmeal - I ground up regular oatmeal in a Ninja blender
1 tbsp honey mixed with 1 tbsp water
1/4 tsp lavender essential oil - I used 1 tsp

The recipe yielded 2 lbs, 10 oz. For the molds, I used a Pringles can plus two cavities of a rectangular mod that held approximately 3.5 oz per cavity. The Pringles log ended up about 9 inches long, so I sub-cut into eight rounds. Each round of soap ended up being between 3.75 to 4 oz. Consistent with hot process soap, the texture is rustic.

UPDATE (8/31/19) 
We are using the second round of soap now. I love it! We began using it immediately, and it produced a nice, thick lather with lots of bubbles. After a few weeks, it has cured into a nice, firm bar. The lavender scent has faded somewhat, but still pleasant. After drying, my skin feels pretty moisturized. The oatmeal is a bit scrubby, however, so next time I will try to process it into a finer powder.

No comments: