Sunday, September 23, 2012

Scrappy Hunter's Star in Origins by Basic Gray

Do you remember this quilt top?  It languished for two years, but it's finally finished.  Well, here it is, all quilted and bound!

Scrappy Stars 4 These are not my usual colors, but I do like the overall effect of fading from dark to light with the multi-color hunter's stars.  The fabric is called Origins by Basic Gray for Moda.  This quilt was made using a layer cake and a jellyroll -- the only yardage require was for the border -- from a pattern from A Baker's Dozen.

The quilting is an all-over simple feather pattern, which I think worked well with this relatively busy pattern.

Scrappy Stars 2
Here is a close-up of the quilting.  I used a 50-weight Aurifil Mako cotton in yellow.  If I were to do it over again, I would choose a variegated thread with some greens and browns.

Scrappy Stars 3

It's somewhat difficult to see, but this is the hunter star pattern that emerges from the blocks:

 Scrappy Stars 1

 The backing is a print called Blossom from Picnic by Jenean Morrison. I'm not sure when this collection came out, but it was in the super reduced section of my LQS. Scrappy Stars 5

Finally, I found these care labels too -- not that I haven't thrown quilts in just the regular wash and dry cycles before. Scrappy Stars 6

9/24 - I'm up at Manic Monday Linky Party at SewHappyGeek! Go check it out!

Sew Happy Geek

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I love the way the colors blend but the block star pattern is still there. It's like when you first look it just seems really creamy and blendy but then a bit of the block catches your eye and you're drawn in to look for more of the star pattern. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Love the Basic Grey. I make cards with this paper pattern.