Friday, March 26, 2010

Napkins with Mitered Corners

I'm making some napkins for a housewarming coming up in April and thought I would experiment with some techniques for mitering the corners. Here's one that I learned from a Singer technique book. I'm not completely happy with the result. As you can see from the last two pictures, there is a slight gap at the corner that is driving me crazy. It is probably be user error and that I need to practice my technique.

There's an alternate technique, I think, that I saw on Martha Stewart once. I'll try that on the next one, but in the interim, here is the first technique.

BTW, the fabric is from Amy Butler's Belle collection. I had only one yard, which was enough for four 16-inch napkins.

Step 1 - press 1/4-inch from the raw edge:

Step 2 - turn raw edge so that right sides of fabric meets, sew across corner on wrong side of fabric:

Step 3 - turn, you might need a turning tool to make sure the corners are crisp:


It should like this on the reverse side.

Step 4 - clip across seam line and fold over another 1/4-inch for seam.

Step 5 - The finished product:



No comments: