Thursday, December 27, 2007

Too Much Yarn, Too Little Time

Last weekend, I told my husband I was making a quick run to the yarn store (Yarn Garden in Portland, OR). As promised, it was quick -- including the drive back and forth, I was gone only 40 minutes, tops. But $60 later, I ended up with yarns for three different hats.



From left going clockwise, the sage green is Berroco's Ultra Alpaca; the blue is Araucania's Nature Wool. I thought I would use one or both to do the koolhaus pattern from Interweave Knit's Holiday 2007 issue. I've also read about the hat on the Brooklyntweed blog -- it seems like a great project.

The third yarn is Jo Sharp's Silk Road Aran Tweed. I actually made a beret from Jo Sharp's "Knit," Issue 3. I gave it to my sister for Christmas, but I loved it so much, I wanted to make one for myself. Plus I had enough yarn left over from the first project that I only needed to buy one more to complete a second hat. So my sister and I will have matching hats, just like we did when we were little girls.

But I didn't stop there. I also bought MORE sock yarn:



I do not need more sock yarn. I already have more than I can probably knit up in the next five years, but as you can see, that is not a deterrence for me. The one on the right is from Noro. I have never knit with Noro yarns before, but they have such an interesting texture (and beautiful colors), I could not resist. The yarn on the left is Araucania's Ranco, a superwash wool/nylon blend that looks soft but durable enough for socks.

Tomorrow I am taking a day off work as a mini birthday celebration for me. I plan to hit a couple of yarn stores, as well as some fabric stores. My purchasing is definitely outpacing my knitting speed at this point.

No comments: