Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Bow Ties, a Leaders and Enders Project

I am pleasantly tickled at how this turning out. In fact, I LOVE (yes, all caps) the way the blocks came together.

I started sewing these bow tie blocks as leaders and enders quite a few years ago. I had a bunch of them sewn, but then stopped because I didn't have the wherewithal to organize and cut scraps for more blocks. In my resolution for 2018 to finish WIPS, the stack of blocks I had collected was one more project to tackle!


What I love most about finally putting the blocks together is to think back and remember the quilts I've pieced, as represented by all the different fabrics. There was no organization to this -- I just pulled bow ties out of the box and started sewing them together, four at a time, to create an eight-inch block.

After all that, I only had enough blocks to make final quilt of 32" x 32". You know what this means? It means I need more blocks. So back to my scrap basket to cut more bow ties!

UPDATE (7/20) - I was going to prep a quick block tutorial, but I found instructions for a four-inch bow tie on the on the Moda Bakeshop site this morning. You will need four bow ties for one eight-inch block. Click here to go to the block instructions.

No comments: